FAQ » Special Programs

Special Programs

What should I do if I think my child may have a disability or learning problem?
If you are concerned your child may have a disability, you should contact our counselor, Mrs. Kellie Hill, at (832) 668-8403. She will conference with you about your child’s situation and the different types of services that are available. Examples of programs include dyslexia, special education, speech therapy, and accommodations under Section 504 of the 1974 Disabilities Act. If you feel your child might require any of these, you can request that a referral be initiated. Information regarding your child would be gathered and sent to a committee to determine if further testing is warranted.
What services are available for children who have English as a second language?
Children whose dominant language is something other than English is placed in a regular classroom that is taught by a certified ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher. This teacher has received specialized training on how to assist the child in developing English language skills.
How are children identified for the Gifted and Talented Program?
There is quite a bit of differentiation that goes on in each classroom to make sure each child is challenged to his/her full potential. We also conduct regular screening activities to try and identify those students who might qualify for our Gifted and Talented program. Students who pass the screening level are assessed further, and the information is then presented to a committee to determine if the child meets the district criteria for the program. Students who are identified as Gifted and Talented are placed with a teacher who has G/T certification, and also received weekly services through our district’s G/T itinerant teacher.